Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Too Much Time On My Hands?

I am in a whole new world right now! My family and I just recently moved from Montana to Oregon. This move was pretty hard on us all because our whole family and all our friends are in Montana. My kids took it pretty hard to say the least. We have tried to make things easier on them by exploring the area and spending lots of time together as a family. I have to say that we are much closer now than we were in Montana, but it was not easy at all.

For the first time ever, I do not have a job outside my house! I gave up a job that I was pretty good at and liked for my husband's career. Do I miss it? Sure, at times I do. I really miss the people I worked with and have stayed in touch with a few of them. I miss feeling the sense of accomplishment that I felt when I finished a task. I had been with my employer for 16 years! I am still on leave, but I just don't see myself going back (at least not to that employer). It just got to a point where I was terrified of trying anything new because where I was at in my life was so safe! Looking back on it now, I really think that I was in a rut! Now that I am out of my 'safety zone', I am happier as much as it scares me! I fight the fears every single day!! It is pretty scary going from the safety of two incomes down to one! I have a friend that has said that staying at home will not keep me satisfied. She thinks that I will get bored. I keep asking myself "Will I get bored? Am I suppose to get a job now or what?"

For the longest time, I have enjoyed drawing. My best friend introduced watercoloring to me a little over a year ago. She showed me a few techniques and encouraged me to try it. She must know me better than I know myself because I absolutely loved it!!!! It made me want to do it again and again and get better and better at it so that I could maybe even sell a painting or two. Now, my paintings are nowhere near the level as my best friend's, but I enjoy painting them a lot. Now that I have all this time on my hands for art and drawing, I have a really don't want to ever go back to work. Does this make me lazy or dedicated?

I think for the time being I will enjoy my family and enjoy my extra "free" time.

8 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Can we call going to Olive Garden daily "being in a rut?!" I don't think so!

Welcome to the blogging world. I love that you're here. You rock! Keep up the great posts! This is also a perfect place to post photos of your art, you know!

:)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

I actually meant a career rut not a lunch rut. The lunches were one my only salvations!

Good thoughts on the art! I will definitely place photos of my art out here.

:)

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Well, I ate FOUR naughty sticks in honor of you today when I ate lunch with Tony. I missed you.

Sigh.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

SML,

Don't make me cry! I hate not being there to have our lunches!!! That is THE hardest part of not being in Montana anymore.

:(

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Cele said...

Welcome to Oregon Jazzy :)

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Thanks Cele :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

FYI, I love the Styx reference on the title of this post...They absolutely rock! I'm listening to them right now as we speak! Blue Collar Man..

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

SML,

You know how I feel about STYX! I may have to pull out one of my MANY STYX CDs now.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home