Saturday, November 25, 2006

Doubts!

Ok, I am having some doubts. I am not sure if my doubts are stemming from a major PMS episode or whether they are really regarding my ability (or lack thereof!). I have been practicing parts of the face so that I can begin drawing portaits and hopefully finally get some commissions. I know that I am my harshest critic, but I am having some serious doubts right now. I am really trying not to, but I just can't help it.

This is a pencil drawing that I did of a nose. Granted, it was only the second nose that I ever did, but I wish it could have been a little more smooth looking, which could have made it a little more realistic looking.




















The picture on the left with the grid is the picture I was trying to draw from the book. The picture on the right without the grid is my attempt.


I am not the type of person who gives up. I just want to be successful at portrait drawing. I would love to be able to draw my kids, and I would love to actually start selling some of my art.

I would like to consider myself an artist and be able to say this is my job.

3 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Cele said...

Jazzy you will get their,just have some patience, some faith in yourself, and more practice. I think the nose looks a bit flat, but you will get it. You can see that from what you have done already.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Here's what I do: Look back and forth from the reference photo to the drawing, back and forth really fast. It helps you see where you should take out some shading and where you should add some. It also helps you create the same SHAPES that the shadows and light areas make. Likeness is all about shape.

If I know you, and I do, then if you want it you will get it. That's just who you are. Keep up the good work!!! Don't despair if you have doubts. I have them too.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Right now I just feel like I will never get it. I want to get it; I really do. I just don't know how. I will keep at it and hope that I somehow finally get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home