Thursday, September 28, 2006

Friends...

I have always had an extremely hard time getting to know new people and making friends. I have always been really shy. Why is it so hard for some people to make friends? It sometimes takes weeks or months to get to know someone and open myself up to them. I don't have many friends because of this! I am having a hard time meeting new people here in OR. I am started to get to know one of my son's friend's mother, but of course, she works and I stay at home. I am finding that I am so busy at home that I can't even get out of the house, and even if I do get out, I have no idea where to go to meet new people with whom I would have any common interests. I don't know the area that well yet, so knowing where to go is difficult. I thought about joining the PTA at my kids' school, but PTA only meets like once a month. This is not the first time that my fears of meeting new people have hurt my life. Prior to moving to OR, a person at my husband's work thought that I hated him because I never talked to him when I went to their workplace. When my husband told me this, I started asking myself if other people think that too. I try not to present myself as closed off and unapproachable, but...do I do that?? I have found that I sometimes have to force myself to be outgoing. I can remember as a child hiding from family members if I did not know them! Like I said, I have always been shy. How does one come out of his or her shell, stop being so shy, and start being more outgoing?

3 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

It's a good question. I had no friends besides my bros and sisters from 4th grade to 9th, and even then I had like one friend in 9th.

A great place to find new friends may be at a class they offer at Ben Franklins or Michaels. I've seen a couple groups when I've shopped there at night and those ladies were chatting and creative and having a great old time. Might be just the thing.

Be patient! I've found the majority of my friends outside of family or church at soccer and football and softball games. You will have plenty of that to come, I bet! J's team had a couple of parents who hosted a dinner at their home as a get to know you thing at the beginning of the season, and it was really easy there to get friendly with a couple of parents.

It's interesting how some people make it look so easy to make friends, and it seems like they take for granted that ability that comes so hard to others.

:) Smiles.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

PS, I love your blog so far.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

We don't have a Ben Franklins, but we do have a Michael's. I will have to look into their classes. I would love to take an oil painting class or something. Good Tip...

I wish making friends came easier to me, but that is not one of the gifts God blessed me with.

I am glad that you like the blog so far...

:)Smiles back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home