Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I thought sports was expensive...

My daughter has been practicing to tryout out for a jumprope team called Talented Feet. It cost us $30.00 JUST for the practices and to try out. IF she makes the team, it will cost another $100.00!!!!! ($75.00 in fees and $25.00 for the t-shirt and shorts) PLUS, there could possibly be other expenses too, but the information sheet C. brought home did not say what those other expenses were (I am assuming it is travel expenses!). If she does decide to tryout and makes the team, the committment is big. It is a committment from January to May (for those of you who are mathmatically challenged, it is a 5 month committment). The team practices every Tuesday and Thursday every week. In order to make the team, the kids have to perform each trick from the sheet they brought home 5 times in a row.

On the other hand, if she doesn't make the team, we just bought a $30.00 jumprope, and she is left with a broken heart and feeling like a failure. I am torn. On the one hand, I want her to feel the success of making the team. What a way to boost her self-esteem! On the other hand, it is a lot of money (a heck of a lot more than her soccer ever cost!). Then, there is the question of how much travel will be involved, and depending on how much and how far, it could run a lot too.

The cheap side of me says, don't let her tryout because that way she is saved from any potential feeling of failure, and you save all that money. She may get mad at you for a little while, but she will get over it quickly because Christmas is right around the corner. The mother in me that wants to see her succeed says to let her tryout and hope for the best because if she doesn't make the team, you will be there to comfort her, she won't be mad at you, and you still are not out any money. If she makes the team, then we will need to find a way to pay for it, but we could cross that bridge when we come to it.

I know there is the positive of it being good exercise, but I just don't know if all that money is worth it. The frugal side of me is just too strong!!

4 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Let me help you feel better.

J's soccer costs
$100 fee to coach, since he's an A level coach, one of 3 in the state.
$325 to Magic City
$100 if we don't dedicate at least 10 hrs of volunteer work toward tournaments, paperwork, setup, etc.

Then we travel every weekend from April through June. Hotels, food, gas, fun.

Can you imagine his life without the soccer, though? It's WHO HE IS.

And I think it's OK if she tries and fails. Kids also need to learn how to do so gracefully. A huge life lesson.

I'll donate to her cause if they have fundraisers or not.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Unfortunately, after looking over our budget again, I just don't think I can let her tryout. We just can't afford this if she does make the team. B's check this week sucked! (Not even $400!) I am more worried about paying rent tomorrow than I am disappointing C at this point.

Sorry, I can't talk about this anymore! (too depressing, and I may start crying again!)

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Listen, don't worry so much! Just breathe. It'll all be OK. You know it.

Have you heard from the job you applied for?

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

No, I have to print out my resume and take it over then they have to run a background check on me and give my resume and application to the employer then I will have to interview. It could take another month.

I had to tell C today that she couldn't tryout. We just can't afford it. It was the hardest thing I have had to do. I almost started crying telling her. I told her that we would save up so she could play softball or soccer this spring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home