Monday, November 06, 2006

Who is ready??

OK, I know that we have a major holiday before Christmas, but I also realize that we in general jump straight over Thanksgiving and move right from Halloween to Christmas! I personally start thinking about Christmas in September. (You heard me right, September!) I have most of my Christmas shopping, present buying done already. I am not completely done, but I will be done by Thanksgiving. Christmas is that hectic time of year when the stores are jammed packed full of tired sometimes rude customers and salespeople. I kill everyone I meet in the stores with kindness! I like to personalize Christmas presents my making some and buying others.

Christmas is the time of year for family traditions, and my family is no different. I can already taste the butterball soup, peanut rolls, and Christmas morning breakfast with my family. Unfortunately, I will not be enjoying some of my family's traditions this year. My own family has a few traditions of its own. My kids get to open one present on Christmas Eve, which is always PJs that they get to wear right away. There is always a present in their stockings. This year my son is already worried about whether or not Santa will find us and how he will get in. (SO CUTE!)

I like Thanksgiving too! Not the over-eating part, but the giving "Thanks" for our blessings part. I love the time that we get to spend with our family. It is always a great day! I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner, which I have not done for a while. I am looking forward to making Thanksgiving dinner this year, although I will be missing my family back home.

All-in-all I am ready for Christmas, are you?? :)

4 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

OF COURSE I'M NOT READY FOR CHRISTMAS!! See my post on procrastination!

I'll be missing you this year, you know. Sob sob.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Cele said...

I am like you and start my Christmas shopping months in advance. I have to out of self preservation - my husband makes me promise to not get him anything. An easy promise to make if I've already bought it.

Like you I think the best gifts are the personal and handmade gifts. But what I love doing the most is stockings.

In our family (my girls are all grown) whoever is home has a stocking. Everyone can contribute to each stocking. They include gifts, favorite treats, socks or gloves, whatnots. And you can get your stocking anytime after midnight. My daughter said the thing she was most excited about was making a big deal, when my grandson was old enough, of sneaking in the dark to get their stockings and quietly sneaking back into bed with a flash light to find out what goodies were hidden inside.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Cele said...

Darn blogger ate my post.

I am like you and have my Christmas shopping done way early in advance. And enjoy making or choosing personal gifts.

In our house stockings are a big deal (my fault.) My girls are all grown, so whoever is home gets a stocking. Everyone can contribute to the stockings. They include little gifts, silly socks, gloves, whatnots, and favorite treats. You can get your stocking anytime after midnight Christmas morning.

My daughter told me she was so excited the when our grandson was old enough to get it. She woke him up at 1am and the tip toed through the house, got their stockings, and made their way back to bed. Then armed with flashlights, under the covers discovered everything hidden inside. Which still to this day makes me cry. Now Benjamin gets it, and he wakes his mom up so they can go get their stockings together.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Cele,

What a sweet tradition!!! Your story was really neat, and I could totally picture it too.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home