Friday, January 12, 2007

The Job Hunt

We have been in Oregon now for just over 6 months. I have decided that in order to give us a little more financial wiggle room that I need to find a part time job. I have applied for more than a half dozen jobs and have yet to even be called for an interview. I get at least one email per week from recruiters except that the emails are for either full time or sales positions. I can't do sales and don't want to work full time. My kids are doing better than they ever have in school because I am at home with them after school. We are closer as a family because I am at home, and I don't want to change any of this. As for sales, I have never been good at sales. I would never be able to do sales well.

I would LOVE to find something that I can do from the house. I would even be willing to take on a full time job if I could telecommute from home. I would even take a part time job outside of the house, but I can't work weekends (because B works every weekend, and we would have no child care).

I have thought about trying to start my own business from the house. The problem with starting your own business is the marketing costs, specifically the cost of a classified ad. In my area, a classified ad running for 30 days costs $175.00. We just can't afford that kind of expense. There would be no point in running the ad for a fewer amount of days. I am making a flyer today to put up at my gym, who knows maybe I can drum up a client or two that way.

I am trying to stay positive, but it is getting harder and harder.

9 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Cele said...

You didn't post your card.

Good luck with the job hunting, it can be so depressing. I am going to be hiring a part time DJ, how do you feel about a 250 mile commute for two and a half hours a day? Yeah, I didn't think it'd fly.

What field are you getting your degree in? Have you thought about leaving flyers at the local colleges for typing? It seems people are always looking for someone to type their papers for them. Just a thought.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

I will definitely need the luck. I have found that more times than not it is not what you know it is who you know. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone here! We have no family and only 1 friend.

Thanks for the offer, but it is a little far.

I have a bachelors degree in paralegal studies. I am just two classes away from from getting a masters in business administration.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Cele said...

Gracious Jazzy, have you tried the PD, Jackson County Sherrif's office, or the OSP. You'd be a great fit.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

You will find something. Doesn't a bank need anyone around there?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

No, I haven't tried them. I would not know where to begin really. How would I contact them? Who would I send it to? I have never been in this situation before. I was only out of high school a year and a half when I went to the company I was at when we moved out here. I have always had a job so not having one is a little strange.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Sure Lisa,

There are positions at the banks out here, but I am not qualified for most of them. Also, I will not apply for a job that I know I will hate (like a teller position).

The criteria that I am looking for is pretty narrow. I will not compromise my criteria because the kids need me to be at home with them after school.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Cele said...

Jazzy check out Work Source Oregon
you do have to sign in to it, but it should offer you paralegal listings, maybe even outsourced typing possibilities?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Thanks Cele,

I will check it out!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Well, Cele thanks for the link. I have my information out there, but there are no jobs open that match my skills.

I have put up a flier at my gym, but I think that chances of getting any business from it are slim to none. (like I said my positive attitude is all but gone!)

If you need any forms designed for your work, let me know. I work cheap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home