Thursday, January 11, 2007

Set Small Goals

I have found that if you set small goals for yourself you will feel a greater sense of accomplishment. I have done this not only in my everyday activities, but I have also done this with my three New Year's resolutions.

In my everyday activities, I set small goals throughout the day. Most days, I end up going above and beyond my goals which gives me an even greater sense of accomplishment. Yesterday, I did everything on my list. I accomplished so much, and I felt great at the end of the day. I felt like I really got a lot done. I worked out in the morning. I got my kids up, fed, ready, and off to school. I answered a dozen emails and blogged. I vacuumed, dusted, and picked up my living room, bedroom, and dining room. I made dinner and helped my daughter with her homework. I played with my son. We watched a great movie together. Finally, I made sure they showered and got them in bed on time. It was a full day, but I felt a sense of accomplishment that I don't always get to feel as a stay-at-home mom.

With my three New Year's resolutions, I have set small goals for myself so that I don't get frustrated and give up on my resolutions. I have a goal of one poem per month. If I write more than one poem in a month great!, but I would be happy with just one a month. I have set a goal to draw two or three times a week. I would love to draw or paint more than two or three times a week, but I don't want to be disappointed. As for my final resolution/deal, I have set the goal to work out four or five times a week. I started Monday and have worked out every single day since I started! I am more than happy with this accomplishment. I am over the moon! I plan on working out two more days this week which is not only great for my body but is also great for my soul!

If you start out with small goals, you will not only have a greater sense of accomplishment, but you will also find it easier to reach your bigger goals.

6 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Cele said...

I think if you keep your expectations with in normal limits the rewards are greater. And of course much more rewarding than failure because we set for ourselves such lofty unattainable goals.

So you have your January poem done, the house is clean, it's time to paint. Kewl. Oh and I'd love another poem. :)

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jazzy said...

You are exactly right! I am definitely drawing or painting today. I have a couple new movies that I want to watch, and I have an animal portrait that I need to draw. (belated Christmas present for my father-in-law and his wife)I can draw while I watch my movies. (then maybe I can work on my painting) I may write another poem this month, but I won't be mad at myself or disappointed in myself if I don't. I am happy that I wrote one at all.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Cele said...

I think you should draw a self portrait or a caricature for your ID on Blogger..er right after the animal print

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

I am still practicing drawing people. My goal is to begin drawing people this year. Hopefully, after a lot of practice, I will be able to draw something to put out here.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

You can do it! Small goals do help.

Speaking of small goals, I made a goal to avoid fast food at lunch. Just sandwiches. And I went shopping, and the size 16 jeans were too big! Wow. (This may be entirely due to the absence of naughty sticks in my diet, of course.) But I'm thrilled to be wearing somewhat baggy 14s and loving it.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

Thanks Lisa,

Good for you!!!! I am proud of you!
It helps having my friend doing t
his all with me. We keep each other motivated. We worked out together 6 days out of 7 this week. I worked out on my own the one day that we did not work out together. I just feel so much better and have so much more energy throughout the day when I work out. I have lost 3 1/2 pounds since Monday if you believe my scale at home. I have been too scared to weigh myself at the gym though. (the results may different)

I am already noticing a difference, although somewhat slight, in my stomach area. I actually have a shot at losing 10 pounds by the end of the month. If that happens, I will be so excited!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home