Monday, February 12, 2007

Random Childhood Memory

I have no idea what made me think of this today. Maybe it was the smells outside today or maybe it was my grandma's way of saying "hi" to me!

I was thinking of my childhood, and our Sunday trips to my grandmother's house. We usually went when my cousins were there on the same day. We ended up having a great family dinner. Those days were the best! If we weren't sitting in the apple orchard gorging ourselves on sour, green apples (which we always got in trouble for eating because we were always too full to eat dinner), we were playing hide and seek or some other game. The game we always ended up playing was hide and seek AT NIGHT! My bro and my cousin always volunteered to be it. My other two cousins and I were absolutely terrible at hiding. First, we ALWAYS hid together. (Yep, big mistake!) If that wasn't bad enough, we always whispered (loudly because kids have a hard time whispering!), "Do you see them? Do you hear them? SHHHHHH! QUIET! THEY WILL HEAR US!" (Yep, not too bright!) Just about the time that we were actually being quiet, my bro and cousin would come up behind us and scare the living daylights out of us! The game would always end with my younger cousin going inside crying because she got scared and then coming back outside informing all of us that we had to get ready to go home, which always meant that we had at least another hour to play (because that is always how long it took our parents to finish talking and actually get ready to go home).

This is the type of memory that always makes me smile!

3 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Cele said...

I had to smile at this one Jazzy. I didn't get to enjoy my cousins when I was growing up, except a few vacations. But this story reminded me of my cousin Annette Sue. Thanks.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Jazzy said...

I am glad that this made you smile too. If it were not for my cousins, I would not have met and become friends with my hubby! We were very close growing up. In fact, my younger cousin and her husband are my daughter's godparents. I have very few childhood memories that do not include my cousins.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Lucky, lucky you. The fam is of course great. Your writing here was very nostalgic and well-written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home